River Cruises have a lot to offer for what you are going to pay. Unlike an ocean cruise that offers very low upfront costs and then proceed to nickle and dime you once on board, a River cruises list of inclusions is long. The amount you pay is higher than your typical ocean cruise but it not fair to compare them as they are very different experiences. Think about the difference between a vacation with 4000 people versus one with only 120.
Inclusions on a river cruise do very by brand but you can count on
- All meals including local food and some even have options to accompany the chef into town to shop for supplies and then come back on board for a cooking lesson
- Shore excursions in every port. (some cruise-lines offer multiple included shore excursions in each port)
- Special events, such as dinner in a castle (mostly on theme cruises)
- Beer or Wine with lunch and dinner
- Happy hours becoming popular with open bars before dinner.
- Local wines and beers offered for tastings and with your meals
- Complimentary coffee, tea and filtered water (many have started giving refillable water bottles and placed water stations all over the ship)
- On board Entertainment
- Local guides for every tour, plus a ship board expert to help with any additional plans
- Exercise programs are becoming more popular with some line like AmaWaterways having a fitness coach on every sailing.
- Interactive entertainment system in all cabins with complimentary movies, bow cameras as well port information and some have commentary on sections of the river
- Bikes for passenger use, with some offering complimentary excursions where you ride along the river to the next port.
Some of the other amenities you will enjoy on more luxurious lines like Uniworld, Scenic and Tauck can include
- Airport transfers to and from the ship
- All alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- Butler service
- Room service
- In-room mini-bar
- Self-service laundry
- GPS guides for independent trips ashore
As you can see you get so much included. The best inclusion though is the experience of being part of the river and its people. Want help understanding which cruise offers what amenities. Call us we can help.