Christmas Markets on the Rhine
December 13, 2022
ARRIVE IN AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS – EMBARKATION
We will be boarding our ship AmaCerto in Amsterdam for our exploration of the Christmas Markets on our Rhine River Cruise
December 14, 2022
There are 165 canals in Amsterdam, and we will get to enjoy some of them on our special canal cruise. Later in the day, we will set sail out of Amsterdam.
December 15, 2022
This morning we will enjoy cruising to Cologne, home to one of Germany’s most revered Gothic masterpieces, the Cologne Cathedral. Join a guided tour through the enchanting Old Town. Explore the UNESCO-designated cathedral and then visit one of Europe’s largest and most renowned Christmas Markets located in front of the cathedral. Alternatively, ride a bike along the Rhine or visit a local tavern to taste Cologne’s traditional Kölsch beer and reibekuchen mit apfelmus—potato pancakes served with applesauce
December 16, 2022
RHINE GORGE – RÜDESHEIM
Cruise through the castle-laden Rhine River Gorge before reaching the winemaking town of Rüdesheim. Once in Rüdesheim, we will have four choices of morning excursions. If you are a wine connoisseur you will want to go to a wine cellar for a wine tasting followed by a Christmas Market visit to enjoy holiday traditions from around the world. Or join us on a hike through the vineyards. Alternatively, you can take a peaceful ride over the vineyards on Rüdesheim’s gondola followed by a visit to the Christmas Market. You may also opt to join a guided bike tour through the town and along the Rhine River before visiting the Christmas Market. Later in the day, you can visit Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum, or join us as we taste one of the town’s special delights, Rüdesheimer coffee.
December 17, 2022
We will have the choice to explore two of Germany’s historically rich cities, along with their festive Christmas Markets. Visit Heidelberg, a city that will capture your heart with its mighty castle and historic university. While here, wander along one of Europe’s longest pedestrian shopping streets, the Hauptstrasse, soaking up the Yuletide celebrations at the town’s Christmas Markets. Or hike along the Neckar River on the historic Philosopher’s Path followed by free time to enjoy the Christmas Markets. Alternatively, you can bike along the Neckar River to the medieval town of Ladenburg and visit its Marktplatz, or explore one of Germany’s oldest cities, Speyer, known for the largest Romanesque cathedral in Europe—a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You’ll also have time to visit its Christmas Market in front of the “Old Mint” (Alten Münze) in the famous Maximilianstrasse, with a view of the romantic Imperial cathedral (Kaiserdom)
December 18, 2022
Strasbourg is even more alluring during the season of Advent. The Christkindelsmärik dates back to 1570, making it the oldest Christmas Market in France. Enjoy a panoramic bus tour that takes us past the Parc de l’Orangerie, the European Parliament and the Place de la Republique. Afterwards, we will walk through the historic town center on the Grande Île, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and through the lovely “La Petite France” district, where we will see the Cathédrale de Nôtre Dame with its famous astronomical clock and then visit the town’s famous Christmas Market. You can also choose to explore Strasbourg’s different districts by bicycle. Later in the day, opt to visit Gengenbach’s Christmas Markets and the town’s famous illuminated town hall Advent calendar.
December 19, 2022
Breisach is our gateway to several different excursions. Step back in time with a visit to the enchanting Alsatian town of Riquewihr, which looks almost the same as it did in the 16th century. On your walking tour, admire historic architecture and famous sights, such as the Dolder Gate, followed by a visit to its charming Christmas Markets. Alternatively, head to Freiburg, founded in 1120 and home to the Freiburg’s Münster, a Gothic cathedral said to have “the most beautiful spire on earth.” Then enjoy free time at the Freiburg Christmas Markets. Those wishing a more active excursion can cycle through Breisach’s countryside.
December 20, 2022
BASEL – DISEMBARKATION
We will disembark the ship and bid farewell to Basel as we prepare for our return flight home.
Our Ship Ama Certo
Like a fallen leaf floating atop the water, AmaCerto floats effortlessly down Europe’s most fascinating waterways. A harvest theme is carried throughout the ship in autumn reds and golds, from the spacious and well-appointed staterooms, with their plush bedding and soft robes, to the classically elegant Main Lounge with its baby grand piano and bar. An onboard salon puts you center stage and ready for your close-up. On the Sun Deck, a heated pool features a swim-up bar with underwater bar stools, and a walking track provides the perfect venue for a romantic sunrise or sunset stroll. And from the kitchen, you’ll find fine dining to the extreme, with exquisite, regionally inspired cuisine prepared in both the Main Restaurant and at The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant, where views of the rippling river are just the amuse-bouche to every mouthwatering bite.
Savor exquisite cuisine at a variety of dining venues, like the Main Restaurant and The Chef’s Table. You can also order delicious tapas between meals in the Main Lounge.
Whether it’s traditional Bavarian music, a local quartet or modern piano favorites, there is an eclectic schedule of entertainment on board.
With fewer guests on board, you can enjoy the luxury of space to unwind, relax and reconnect with your loved ones. Our public areas, including lounges and restaurants, are never overcrowded.
Included Features on Our Christmas Market Cruise
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom (most with twin balconies)
- Entertainment-On-Demand in all staterooms featuring free high-speed internet access, movies, a music library and English language TV stations
- Mini-fridge, desk and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
- Wellness Activities with a dedicated Wellness Host leading various exercise classes as well as discussions on healthy eating and relaxation techniques, both on board and on shore.
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Sun deck pool with swim-up bar and walking track
- Fitness room, massage services and hair salon
- Main Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant
- Welcome Cocktail, Welcome Dinner, La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs Dinner, Captain's Cocktail and Gala Dinner
- La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs exclusive dining experience
- Unlimited fine wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sip & Sail Cocktail Hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Tapas, sandwiches, snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Gentle, regular, active and late-riser tour options
- Bike tours and hikes
- Special Interest Tours
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from AmaWaterways
Your Cabin options
Suite - French Balcony & Outside Balcony,
300 sq. ft.
French Balcony & Outside Balcony,
235 sq. ft.
French Balcony & Outside Balcony,
210 sq. ft.
170 sq. ft.
160 sq. ft.
Pricing above includes the port charges of $210 and the group discount of $250 off per person. Prices are per person and based on double occupancy.